It's nearly impossible to avoid the pollution of our environment - this includes the chemicals both outside and inside our homes. There are chemicals on the clothes we buy, in the soaps we use and in the water we bathe in. Sad but true. And our skin takes the brunt of that beating. Our skin also happens to be the largest organ of the body.
Conventionally we think that washing with soap is the best option, but there is actually an even better way to amp up your routine. It’s called:
D R Y B R U S H I N G
And rumour has it with regular dry skin brushing every day for three months you might just see a reduction in cellulite.
If that just got your attention, you’ll want to keep on reading about the benefits of this awesome practice as told by Meghan Telpner, Toronto’s own chef, nutritionista, teacher, author, business guru and so much more.. it’s really hard to describe her in just one sentence) She has summarized its benefits even better than I could have myself!
Dry Brushing Benefits
- Sheds dead skin cells and other impurities to promote better oxygenation of the skin
- Increases blood circulation (which is also beneficial to the immune system)
- Stimulates the lymphatic system (helpful for immune boost and gentle detoxification)
- Breaks down and moves fatty deposits under the skin
- Supports detoxification actions of internal organs
- Promotes cell rejuvenation
- Improves immune system function
- Improves moisture balance by stimulating the sebaceous glands (so you are not too oily and not too dry)
- Awakens and soothes your nervous system
- Softens and improves skin texture so you can be silky smooth
Dry Brushing Basics
- You need to do it on dry skin before you shower.
- Brush the skin when it is dry and never expose the brush to water.
- If you’ve never dry brushed before, just go lighter at first. You'll get used it and be able to tolerate a firmer pressure over time.
- You may notice a white powder that comes off of your skin during the process. These are crystals of uric acid as well as other waste products which were produced during any perspiration. This is a good thing!
- Always brush towards the heart - moving away from the heart puts extra pressure on the valves within the veins and lymph vessels and can cause ruptured vessels and varicose veins.
- Use light pressure in areas where the skin is thin and harder pressure on places like the soles of the feet.
- Be extra gentle around your nipple area and other personal bits!
- If diminishing cellulite is your goal, it's recommended that you brush areas of cellulite for 5 to 10 minutes twice a day consistently for a minimum of five months. (Trust me, it’s worth the diligence)
- After getting out of the shower and before drying off, anoint your body with our All Over Elixir, then dry off vigorously. You definitely don't want to be gunking up your skin with chemical cosmetics after sloughing off all that dead skin.
- Clean your skin brush using soap and water once a week. After rinsing, dry your skin brush in an open, sunny spot to prevent mildew.