Here’s the easy-peasy recipe:
- ½ an avocado
- Small chunk of fresh ginger (½ tsp if you don’t have fresh)
- 1 tbs (if possible, wild local) honey
- Small chunk of fresh turmeric (½ tsp if you don’t have fresh)
- ½ cup unsweetened plain yogurt (I use coconut yogurt* but if you 'do dairy', try to use grass fed yogurt, your face will thank you :))
Blend all of the above in your blender, and mix on high until smooth.
To use this as a Mask:
- Pour in into a wide mouth mason jar and refrigerate. It should last for at least a week, or about five to six treatments. To use, apply over your freshly washed face. If possible, let it absorb for at least 10 minutes. Cleanse off with a lukewarm face cloth or even better use our activated charcoal sponge. Follow with your favourite Graydon moisturizer. The Putty is the best for bug bitten, sun burned skin.
To drink this as a Smoothie:
- Add a large handful of ice cubes into the blend, and give it a whirl again. Drink it up and enjoy every last drop, while you feel good knowing that you’re effectively nourishing your skin from the inside out.
To use this as a Mask and a Smoothie:
- Make a double batch and divide it up according, following the directions above!
Just in case you’re wondering about the science behind this, studies have also shown that:
- Avocado oil helps to reverse degenerative skin changes seen with aging by stimulating the production of elastin fibers and collagen, thus restoring normal regenerative and degenerative balance.
- The lutein and zeaxanthin in it are also thought to help protect the skin from UV and visible radiation damage.
- Another extraordinary property of avocado oil is that it acts as a powerful humectant, which means that when applied topically, it really helps your skin retain moisture.
- The probiotic blend in the coconut yogurt helps support the ‘good’ bacteria on your face and it lends a wonderful cooling sensation.
- Turmeric is well known to be very effective at reducing redness.
- Last but not least, honey (especially wild, unpasteurized honey) is loaded with great antiseptic properties.
* My favourite is Yoso’s unsweetened coconut yogurt.