There is no real substitute for washing your face, but once in a while I'm so tired, my eyes close before I have the energy to do my normal cleansing regime of taking my make up off, thoroughly cleansing my whole face, and moisturizing my face with a slew of potions and lotions!
After a very long work day last week, followed by a semi-formal event, I laid down as I was taking my shoes off only to awake 6 hours later with the dog licking my face -clothes still on, and a face full of makeup. Can't lie, it was not a pretty sight.
After a very large glass of lemon water, I got to work on doing a deep facial cleanse and vowed to myself I would never let this happen again so I decided to make a batch of cleansing makeup wipes, instead of going to the store and picking a box of them up.
Typically I'm not a fan of makeup wipes because nearly every brand I've ever tried has made my face red and irritated -- but I'm glad to say this little recipe feels great and works miraculously well!
Here's the makeup wipes recipe:
- 4 tablespoons witch hazel
- 4 tablespoons jojoba oil (if you don't have jojoba on hand, you can replace this with grape seed oil)
- 4 tablespoons water (use distilled, if possible)
- 5 to 10 drops essential oil such as lavender or rosemary (better yet, use one of our blends)
- Roll of paper towels
- Measuring spoon
- Small bowl
- Serrated knife
- A container about the size a half a roll of paper towel (for example, I used a glass container that I usually use to store soup in)
- Measure and mix the witch hazel, jojoba oil, essential oil(s) and water in a small bowl.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the roll of paper towels in half width-wise. Remove the tube from one half.
- Put the half without the tube in an airtight container, then pour the solution over the roll. (You can save the other half for another time)
- Replace the lid on the container and turn it upside down to make sure the liquid gets evenly distributed.
- Store with the lid on to keep the wipes from drying.
- Keep beside your bed!!
To use, pull makeup wipes from the roll’s center and clean your eyes and face before you drift off to sleep when you're too tired to wash your face.
Night night. Sleep tight.